Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Theater


Last Saturday I was hired for the 3rd time recently to be the audition pianist for LifeHouse Theater, a Christian repertory company in town. That's always a fun two hours. Theater people are a class to themselves. I could never be so extroverted in front of the audition panel, and certainly not in front of an audience.

At least this group didn't give me crazy difficult music to play. I once had a piece that jumped around from 5/4 to 3/4 to 7/4 !! Come on people!! If you want to look good in front of the judges, let the pianist help you instead of making her do battle with the music.

Then tonight my piano family who participates in a lot of theater productions gave Tom and I free tickets to see the Jonas Story, a re-telling of the Biblical Jonah story. Very "dark," serious, adult targeted play. But excellent, actually. What I like most about their productions is that every one is original dialogue and music score. So I'm sitting there listening to the music as much as watching the play.

We missed Vanessa's first home game, since Tom didn't feel like climbing on the bleachers. So we sat in comfy theater chairs.