Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dancing


Last evening we went ballroom dancing at the Elks Club in Riverside. I don't know anything about the Elks Club organization, but one of the women at the dance came over and introduced herself as Martha, the High Exalted Ruler.

How can she say that and not laugh? It's just too ridiculous. I was proud of myself for keeping a straight face. I wanted so much to say, "Oh no, I happen to know the High Exalted Ruler, and you're not it." But I was very good.

But I made wonderful new friends--an elderly Japanese couple who dance so elegantly. I went over to meet her and compliment her on her style. It turns out she is just like me--grew up in a conservative Christian home--no dancing allowed. When I look at her, I see hope.

Tonight we danced (I say that loosely--we're pretty pathetic) in Loma Linda. A much nicer place. Very fun. A couple dances were mixers. Women stand in a line and a man dances with the first in line, takes her around the floor, and drops her off at the end of the line. Every man I danced with was so patient and talked me through the steps. A good leader makes all the difference. It's easy to dance with someone who knows what they're doing.