Sunday, August 8, 2010

Couch Surfing

Today I made the big plunge. I joined couchsurfing.org
When you travel you can find someone who wants to host guests,
decide if you are interested in their profile
and statements about themselves,
meet on the site and share enough information to be comfortable
with each other, then you stay in their home FOR FREE (!)
and experience the culture and lifestyle of a new friend when you visit their area.
They can tell you how to navigate your way around
and either point you or take you to the major sites and non-tourist areas.
So you are not alone in a new city, but have a personal contact person
who is happy to give advice as well as friendship.
And you can choose only women hosts, which I like.

Here is my profile picture.


I heard about this years ago in the local newspaper, but
just now got around to doing something about it.

I wanted to do this when we went to England, but Tom
just wasn't comfortable staying in someone's home.
What a missed opportunity to meet some wonderful people.

I've also wanted to have internationals come stay with us
and Tom finally agreed tonight.
And I didn't even coax him.
We set the rules of the house and length of stay.
Of course we have the right to refuse anyone.
I'm feeling both interested and cautious.
I just wonder if we are far enough away from the major sites
that no one will want to come.