Monday, May 3, 2010

Teaching English as a Foreign Language

I know I'm supposed to be on vacation this week, but writing is cathartic for me. And did I ever write today!

I had an assignment due by noon today, and it got me on a roll. This morning it took me 2-1/2 hours to prepare one lesson plan for this assignment. I spent the same amount of time last evening after church on another lesson plan, then in the middle of the night remembered it was supposed to be Intermediate level, and I had done Beginner level. So I had to do another one.

This afternoon I roughed out a proposal (including a proposed budget) for the Trinity Missions Committee requesting permission to be under the church's umbrella to teach this English class at Micah House in the Fall. If they agree, they will provide partial scholarships for those students who cannot afford their workbooks.

This evening I spent 3 hours on a rough draft syllabus for 40 two-hour classes. I need a framework for sanity. I'm feeling panicky about the scope of this project, and a syllabus is like building a fence around what I will include and what I will discard. THEN I can begin writing lesson plans.

There are wonderful resources available: books full of ideas, activities, target vocabulary, word games, etc., but we still have to make detailed lesson plans for every 50-minute time period.

For peace of mind I want to have several lesson plans completed with feedback from our excellent teacher before this class ends, even though only one is required.

I still managed to lie in the sun for an hour today.