Sunday, May 30, 2010

It is the Lord's Day

This morning the pastor preached on Job. Several tears ran down my cheeks throughout the sermon. He is the first pastor I've heard who had compassion for Job's wife, who wrongly told Job out of the depth of her own despair to curse God and die. She also lost 7 sons and 3 daughters, and the family wealth and position, and social standing, and even her husband was detestable with running sores so that she couldn't even be comforted in his arms. My heart has always been tender toward this woman even though I've lost only one child.

Later in the book God blessed them again and restored their riches and children...but no one mentions she had to go through 10 more pregnancies and get 10 more children through their running around years to adulthood.

And when God was rebuking Job's friends for giving pat answers about how or why God does what He does, He didn't rebuke Job's wife.

Psalm 103: 13, 14 "Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame, that we are but dust."

He can handle our frustrations and even anger, as long as we don't turn our back on Him, because He knows we are unaware of the ending of the story.

Job 23:10 "He knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold."