Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Eden Roses and D'Elias

It started on my morning runs when I pass this house.
The roses 'round the door are so beautiful,
I stopped one day to ask their name.

Pierre De Ronsard also known as Eden Rose
Well, I must have some!
After ordering them from Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar
I found them much closer (and much cheaper) in Riverside.
So I bought four:
two to cover my arbor, as the current roses there
are not so beautiful or prolific,
and two for each side of the garage.
This one's mine. So feminine.
White outer petals with a delicate pink center.

Of course this means I'll need a trellis over the garage opening
so the roses will climb onto the roof also.
Can't wait!!!!

Next we had lunch at D'Elias Grinders on University Avenue
just west of the UCR campus.
It's still in business, but in a nicer building.
I used to eat there in the 70s while a student at UCR
and studying through the dinner hour.
Next stop would be the library for hours of reading.

Excellent home-made bread! Still a local favorite.
When I ate there it was a road-side walk-up sandwich shop.
I'm glad they have survived all these years.
I see they were voted most popular grinder shop in Riverside.
With good reason.