Thursday, April 1, 2010

Don't fence me in...

At least that's what the song says. My neighbor who returned from Afghanistan (via Paris!!) approved sharing fence costs, so the fence installers came just as I returned from my early morning run.
This is my pretty little country fence that is rotting.
The fence contractor told us we would have to remove the Boston Ivy from the current fence, but it was only half done by this morning (!), so I grabbed garden gloves and began removing it myself. Tom was at work. It occurred to me to ask this neighbor for help and knocked on his door.

He came in slippers and coffee in hand looking like the dapper gentleman he is, saying he saw them and "will call his gardener to do the work." Now come on! The work has to be done NOW. Doesn't he own some jeans? So I'm out there with my clippers and shovel again.

Apparently from his window he saw me working and came outside and convinced the installers to tear out the ivy (probably saying something like, "Look at the poor girl working so hard"), and they agreed to do it for FREE! So I'm in the house baking cookies for the fellows who came to my rescue.


The new fence crying out for flowers and vegetation to soften it.