Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Getting ready...

The family is coming from around the U.S.
for Dad's memorial service on Saturday,
so I bought some flowers to put along the new fence
to brighten the backyard.
These dwarf sunflowers were just being delivered to the nursery
and were a good deal at $4.95 for a large pot.

These blue delphiniums were also just delivered
and a good deal at $4.95 for a large pot.
I love delphiniums. I don't know if the fence will burn them
or protect them from the summer heat.
The ranunculus are also a favorite
and were priced as expected at $1.99 for a small pot.
These nemesia will double in size and are graceful looking yet hardy.
But they were $3.50 for the same size pot as the ranunculus.
Now I'm thinking to myself, "That's just wrong!"
I asked the sales girl why they were so expensive. She didn't know. So I pointed out the large plants priced at just $4.95 and the other small plant for $1.99. I said this size isn't worth more than $1.99 and asked, "May I please get them for $1.99 if I buy ten?" She had to check with her manager, then came back and said, "Yes, we'll give them to you for that price."

This kind of thing drives Roxanne and Eric just nuts!! But what's the worst that could happen? Would they run me out of the store? No. Would they yell at me? No. The worst thing is they could say, "No, I'm sorry we cannot lower the price." I can accept "no" for an answer. So I got a good deal just for asking.

The other day Roxanne and Grant were in a fast food drive-through and RC asked for something extra. Grant called her "Jack Box Nana" because I always request my drink without ice (I don't want to pay for a cup of ice and hardly any drink) and I request my sandwich without mayonnaise (less calories). The sales people never complain, but my family gets so embarrassed and says, "Nana! We can't take you anywhere!" But you don't get what you want if you don't ask. :)