Thursday, December 2, 2010

Life interrupted.

The events of the past week have told to family and close friends in emails. Won't repeat them here.

All lessons are cancelled for two weeks. I spend the mornings sleeping in (7:30 --if you call that sleeping in). Then reading and replying to emails. No energy to do much else. Some piano practice for Scrooge. Fell asleep in the lounger last night listening to Christmas music.

I go to the hospital around noon and stay until about 9 p.m. First Tom gets a shave, then we take a walk with the walker around the ward, read the mail, and I work on the computer while he naps. His appetite has returned, his spirits are better, and his speech is less slurred. An answer to the many prayers taking effect? I think so.

I had no idea it was so tiring to sit all day, but it must be the emotional energy. Roxanne & I laughed when last night Tom said to her about 8:30 p.m., "When you get finished with what you're working on, I'm about done." In other words, "you can go home now." First time he's kicked one of us out of the room. :) He actually really appreciates that we are there for hours on end.

This morning my batteries were somehow recharged---got 3 huge loads of laundry done and put away, washed and vacuumed the car, cleaned up the kitchen, finished the recital program, copied it, and delivered it to the mom who is taking charge at tonight's recital in my place. (Maybe now they'll realize how much work it takes to put on a recital. Nah, I doubt it. There's much more work than just the day of the recital.)

The mom who made the recital happen emailed me that the recital went well at the convalescent home and she said,

"At the end of the recital, one of the elderly residents called out, "Who are the teachers who have been teaching all of these children?" I said, Mrs. Carrier is their only teacher. She answered, "Well, Mrs. Carrier deserves a 'Brava!'" Everyone cheered. We are so thankful to you. You have such a gift, not just in music, but in the joy of the Lord. Thank you for sharing it with us."

That made me cry with thankfulness for my sweet piano families.

They've asked what they can do for me, so I've invited my 4 teenagers to come help me decorate the house and trees and bake some cookies together. It's no fun to come home to a dark, undecorated house when so many homes are lit up with Christmas lights.

Took street clothes to Tom today, and he appreciated not wearing that ridiculous hospital gown. We read the mail, paid bills, wrapped a few Christmas gifts, then I took him outside in a wheelchair (not able to walk that far) to enjoy the sun. His room is really quite cheery. The hospital staff enjoy the little decorated Christmas tree, Christmas music, and little treats we have for them as they serve us so kindly. They stay and chat with us and tell us about their families. Very sweet.

Here Roxanne & I are applying rhinestones to Vanessa's cheer outfit while Tom enjoys sitting in a chair for awhile.

This evening two elders from church and their wives came and anointed both Tom and me with oil and prayed for us both. "Why me? I'm not sick." I asked. "Because you two are one, and what happens to one affects the other," they replied. Very true. These are all precious friends with whom we pray during 2nd service each Sunday. Tears and hugs all around at the end.