Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Preparing...

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day.
One of only three Christian Holidays in America.

Next to Easter, it is my favorite holiday of the year.
A family time. A calm time--except for the cook.

Today is a very busy day of preparation,
because the Thanksgiving Feast is always at my house.
I found a wonderful Classical Christmas station
(on the TV of all places),
so I've got the music turned up while cooking and baking.

Fresh green beans are on sale, so I'm taking an Internet break while eating my "breakfast" of hot tea and steamed green beans sauteed in fat-back. I'll munch on these while making more fattening dishes for tomorrow. It's less fattening (I think) than a typical breakfast of a large cinnamon bun covered in icing.
You can tell we don't live in the deep South--I had to explain to the young butcher what fat-back is.

The turkey is brining in it's salt/sugar bath, and the fresh tortilla soup is in process.
Now on to baking cornbread for turkey stuffing,
making lemon pie (the meringue will be added tomorrow),
gathering, chopping, covering and setting aside all the ingredients I'll need tomorrow,
making gingerbread dough and sugar cookie dough
for our annual Gingerbread House and fancy decorated cookie day on Friday with Vanessa and Grant.

If I have time, I'll make a breakfast bread rolled up with sugared-cinnamon apple slices inside and drizzled with icing and chopped pecans on the outside.
I picked the apples from our friend's tree in Oak Glen earlier this fall.
If I don't use them quickly, they'll get old.
Later we'll put up a long table and dress it up for the holiday.
Then tonight we'll go to church and give thanks to God for his Best Gifts to us.

My Muslim friend Noor is coming with us to church tonight!
Her first time there.
There will be much joyful singing
and several baptisms.
O, Holy Spirit, fall on us and know how thankful we are.