Thursday, October 14, 2010

Learning how to retire

Today Tom had an appointment to take a class on retirement. He asked if I wanted to go with him. He said I probably didn't need to go, but wondered if I was interested.

Am I ever glad I went!! Such an involved, extremely detailed session with so many decisions to be made together.

There is the 8-page retirement application (for his retirement pension), Power of Attorney to be decided and signed and notorized, and Health Care options--let's see, we are required to have Medicare Part A and Part B, but do we need Part C and Part D? Yikes!

And did you know that the eyes and teeth are not a part of the body according to the healtchare industry? I find it annoying that in addition to paying for general healthcare we have to pay extra for dental and vision. I'm sometimes tempted to ask them if they have ever read the verses I Corinthians 12: 14 - 20 which says generally, the body is made up of many parts, but one part of the body cannot declare it's not part of the body. Why can't the healthcare industry see the teeth and eyes as part of the body and include it in general healthcare coverage? It's Biblical! That might be a funny conversation in the HR office.

Anyway, 2-1/2 hours later, Tom will be able to retire in another 3 weeks. How nice.