Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is my dream dying?


Yes, my dream of teaching ESL is dying.

This morning I discovered Redlands Adult school got a last minute grant to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) this fall at the nearby high school. And it's free to the students.

Our program required they buy their book, because we have no funding help. But $25 is a huge sum when you are out of work or poorly paid. So I had to call all the students who wanted to sign up with us and tell them. It's only fair. The school district has better classrooms, and it's free. Better for the students.

I'm glad for them. I really am. But how can I feel so generous and selfish at the same time? I wanted to teach them. I was so ready. I thought the Lord had opened a door for me to do this. But I have to do it His way, not my way. Perhaps a totally different kind of door will open. I've always liked the song from the Joseph opera, "When God closes a door, He opens a window." It reminds me of Noah inside the ark also.

It makes me so sad because I keep getting calls from people who want to learn English, and I have to refer them to the school district. God will make me happy again. Soon, I hope.

Interesting this should happen the day after I taught a Bible lesson on Naaman to the children at Micah House yesterday. Naaman was an important man who had a problem he could not solve. He had leprosy, but when he discovered there was a man of God who could bring him healing, he wanted to be healed in his own grand, important way, not go humbly dip himself into the Jordan, not once but seven times! How humiliating. But when he did it God's way, he was healed.

I really like the part of the story about the little Israelite slave girl who served in Naaman's house. She probably wasn't even allowed in his presence, but she managed to tell his wife about Elisha back in Israel. Even though she wasn't where she wanted to be, she was a witness.

She gave important information she knew to someone who needed to hear it. That's what witnessing is. We as Christians have important information and are called, by God Himself, to tell that information to those who needs to hear it.

I'd like to meet her in heaven someday, and tell her how much she has encouraged me.