Friday, July 2, 2010

State Music Teacher's Convention


Today was the first of 4 days of the annual
Music Teachers Convention in Los Angeles.
I only went one day--didn't want to drive every day
nor stay there and miss my birthday celebration.
I'll miss out on my first President's breakfast.
Oh well, it's not worth a 60 mile drive.

My student, Charisa (Ka-RIS-sa) Marron was invited
to play her composition (music & lyrics) at one of the two
student-composer recitals at the convention. She did a great job.

After the recital they played "games" doing some on-the-spot improvisation to depict some aspect of Robert & Clara Schumann's life then a musical description of some type of bug (the audience had to guess which bug: butterfly, cricket, beetle, etc). They did really well, and I thought were very brave to compose impromptu in front of an audience!!!

Reminds me of a joke:
Archeologists were digging up Bach's grave for some
scientific reason and when they looked inside they were
astonished to see Bach furiously erasing his music.
"What are you doing!?!?!" they asked.
"I'm decomposing!" he answered.

Don't get me started. That reminds me of several others....