Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spring Recital

The Spring Recital was in a new place this year:
the historic (converted) Fox Theater.
Beautiful inside. The parents and students loved it.
So did I.

The local Music Teacher's Association moved our 9-ft. grand piano here recently with the understanding we can use the venue (for a price, of course) for our functions.

Another first: it was on a Wednesday evening.
Can't decide if that is preferable to a weekend.
I think I'll poll the parents.
I know I was exhausted after watching Grant all morning while finishing up preparations, teaching all afternoon, then hurrying for last minute set-up.

I'm always stressed the day of a recital,
because there are so many details to attend to,
but not because I'm worried about the student's performances.
I always over-prepare them for weeks in advance,
because I want it to be a good experience for them.

The students did a great job. Really. A great job.
Even the little girl who performed at her first recital.
They bowed beautifully, didn't turn their backs on the audience
while waiting for me to adjust their bench and foot-boxes.

And they showed their teeth when they smiled.
(Yes, we practice that--they get so nervous they sometimes look terrified.
A big smile makes them and the audience feel much better.)

In addition, I always reassure them I never get upset if they make a mistake.
Their parents and I already know they are wonderful pianists.
If they'll just keep going, most of the time the audience
doesn't even realize they made a mistake.
If they do notice, they forget it very quickly.

Here's Amy

















Audrey







Aric & Kellie












David, Noah, & Grace