Thursday, June 17, 2010

Preserving the harvest


Today I made 3 pints of Strawberry Jam.
Vanessa immediately claimed one of them,
and Tom opened one.
Better make one more batch.

My best source for good cookbooks is our local library.
I check one out, look it over, and if I really like it, I buy it.
I don't do it often, but this is how I've gotten
some favorites.

Our library is a beautiful historic building.
The following canning book is really great.
Why?

1. It taught me how to develop the fruit's natural pectin
and not use powdered pectin.
This is not only healthier, but less expensive.

2. All recipes are in small batches.
I don't want pantry shelves full of preserved items.
Just a very few of my favorites to last through the winter.

3. It's not so exhausting to preserve small amounts.
My favorite items to preserve are:
Strawberry, Apricot, Peach, and Raspberry jam,
Jalapeno jelly--this is very spicy yet sweet,
lemon curd and some kind of savory chutney.

This year I want to try Watermelon Rind Pickles.
This sounds very odd, but is really delicious.
Quite sweet.