Thursday, June 3, 2010

Graduation Day again

This one's for me! Last night was our last class of Teaching English as a Foreign Language. We all got certificates (bogus, but authentic looking) for our 10 weeks of grueling but stimulating work.

I can't believe it! I have a new passion. It crept up on me from behind and surprised me. I'm a good teacher (!) in small groups. I've gotten plenty of feedback from piano students and their parents alike that I'm good at teaching one-to-one lessons and small group theory classes. But adults? Two adult students came up to me after my TEFL student teaching and told me I was awesome. Awesome!?! It's not very often...hardly ever...have I ever really been?... awesome.

Then last night our teacher said she was "so excited and blown away" by my last assignment and one of her colleagues at the university asked her to ask me if she could use it as an example in her curriculum. The assignment was to compile teaching strategies we'd discovered during the class and our textbook and online reading. They weren't MY ideas. I'd just compiled 3 pages worth. So of course she can use it. But I sure was pleased to hear it was appreciated. AND she asked me to keep in touch with her and let her know how my (currently anticipated) classes are going, because she said she's confident I'll do a good job.

The problem with this blog, now that other people read it, is that I find myself wondering what they will think of what I'm saying. That's not very good for a free flow of thoughts. So, sorry if this sounds bragging, because it IS. Today's blog is for ME to collect a good memory, not for you to read and think what a big head I've got.