Saturday, March 20, 2010

Lost

Today I was scheduled to evaluate about 20 piano students for Certificate of Merit in another city 40 minutes from home. I went to Cal Poly where the event was held and they were late setting up. Just before time to start, we all realized there was no evaluator packet for me because I was at the wrong place. I was horrified. I called the state coordinator and she had no idea and said I should call Lily. The number she gave me was incorrect, then in walks Lily herself who was assigned to that venue. Tremendous relief! I was supposed to be 15 minutes away at Pomona College in Claremont.

The beautiful tree-lined city of Claremont has a group of colleges altogether that takes up many blocks. So I dashed to Claremont, found the area of colleges and asked an employee in her golf cart where Pomona college is. "They are ALL Pomona college," she said. Which one do you want? "I don't know...I was just told Pomona college." It turns out its like Oxford, England. There are many colleges that make up the university of Oxford. Though you say you attend Oxford, you actually attend Christ College or Trinity College, etc. Finally I mentioned it was a piano event, and she took me to the nearby music building. I was so relieved that was the place.

I was so worried that my mistake would stress out the event coordinator, because she did not have any idea if I would ever show up. And I was worried I would lose the respect of the state coordinator, but she was so kind to tell me she had once made the same mistake herself. And another evaluator at lunch said she almost went to the wrong venue this same day. We evaluators must all be a little loopy from time to time. Another evaluator took my first student of the day, then I was on time for the rest of the day.

Even when I think things are falling apart, God leads me along. My last evaluation day for this year is next Saturday. I will double and triple check all the details from now on.