Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home-made Tamales


Alejandra is in my mother's Bible study at Micah House. She helped me make home-made tamales with banana leaves rather than corn husks: something to do with taste and size. She speaks only a little English so it was very interesting communicating, but we did rather well. She said it would only take two hours, but then she only makes 4 at a time. It took us 4 1/2 hours today because we used all the banana leaves in the packages and made 22. The tamales turned out GREAT!

My dear husband is bummed because he only got to eat three, because I gave some to Alejandra for teaching me, some to our friend John who gave me free concert tickets for tonight, and froze the rest for my cooking club in April. When I make them in the future, I'll spread it out over two days. I must make some again soon so I don't forget the techniques she taught me.